by Maria Koropecky, Homespunspa owner
Lavender is the ultimate Homespunspa ingredient because it’s so versatile and can be used in thousands of different ways for thousands of purposes. But have you ever thought to use it as inspiration to make your bedroom more sleep- friendly?
Lavender has been recommended for centuries as a sleep aid and if people like the aroma, than using lavender in all of its forms — from the dried plant, to the essential oil, to the colour — is a quick, easy and natural solution to help with occasional insomnia.
If you associate lavender with sleep, then try decorating your bedroom with a lavender theme by:
- hanging sketches and photographs of lavender growing in a garden;
- keeping dried lavender in vases on your window sills;
- stuffing sleep pillows and sachets with lavender;
- keeping a bottle of lavender essential oil on the night table and if you’re having trouble falling asleep, put a dab of lavender under your nose. You will feel more relaxed almost instantly and will be able to get some shut eye sooner rather than later.
- sleeping on a bed made and covered with lavender-coloured bed linens, comforters, and throw blankets;
- wearing lavender pajamas, bathrobes and slippers;
- misting your room with a light spray of lavender flower water will help set a relaxing tone for the evening;
- painting or wallpapering bedroom walls in a soft lavender palette.
Together, these small visual and aromatic cues will help remind you that this is a sleep-friendly bedroom and may in fact improve your quality of sleep. Please leave a comment and let us know if this suggestion works for you.