by Maria Koropecky, Homespunspa owner
Now that summer is officially in full swing — yay! — you might be looking for fun things to do. Have you considered planning a staycation?
Victoria, British Columbia is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places on earth and as locals, we should enjoy and appreciate our city more. We live on an island in the Pacific Ocean for goodness’ sakes! Our city has so much to offer and sometimes it can be fun to stay home and explore the local scene with the fresh eyes of a tourist.
“Staycation” is a newly-coined term (as of 2005) by Canadian comedian, Brent Butt, from the tv show “Corner Gas.” The term refers to taking time off from work by choosing to stay home rather than going away, somewhere else, on vacation. Common activities of a staycation include pitching a tent and camping outside within a stone’s throw from your backdoor and swimming in the backyard pool.
Tips for a Successful Staycation
1. Make it official: Treat your staycation as a regular vacation. Pick your dates, whether it’s a day, a weekend, a long-weekend, a whole week, or longer 🙂 and stick to them — no excuses — as if you’ve paid your deposit on a hotel room and have already booked your flights. Also, tell your friends so they know what you’re up to.
2. Take care of housekeeping: On the day before your staycation begins, clean your house from top to bottom. Make it as “hotel chic” as you can. As a treat, hire a professional service to do it for you! You might also consider turning off your newspaper subscription and holding your mail to not remind yourself of your regular daily routine. Don’t forget to display mini toiletries in your bathroom!
3. Plan your itinerary: Staycations give people a chance to act like a tourist in their own town and visit local restaurants, parks, beaches, museums, festivals and events. Have an idea of what you’d like to see and do around town ahead of time. If there’s a restaurant you’d like to try, make a reservation. If there’s an outdoor festival in your community, buy your tickets in advance. Or maybe you’d like to go on a winery tour or catch a ferry to a nearby island. Think of all of the things you wish you had time to do but never get around to and then do them!
4. Pack your suitcase: It’s time to get your suitcase out. This may confuse your pets but that’s OK. 🙂 Make sure to pack clothes that gabapentinoral you’d wear on your vacation if you were leaving town. Then on your first day of your staycation, grab your suitcase, leave your house, go around the block, and then re-enter your house as if you’re checking into a hotel. If you skip this step, you may be tempted to not go ahead with your staycation plans and on top of that, it really ups the fun quotient.
5. Hire a mobile spa: Splashing some spa time into your staycation will really kick things up a notch. And you don’t have to go out to a chi chi day spa if you don’t want to. You can invite a mobile spa, like Homespunspa, to come to you. All of a sudden, your home will be transformed into a spa resort and you will reap the benefits of the relaxing spa treatments exponentially. There’s no added stress with mobile spa appointments because getting spa services in your home means you don’t have to worry about driving in traffic, finding a parking spot, running into other spa guests, and messing up your nail polish. Homespunspa Mobile Spa offers a wide range of spa services including massages, manicures, pedicures and facials. If you’d like to make the most of your staycation, we can easily bring the spa to you! Please call or email to make your appointment.
6. Schedule a VIP spa day: VIP spa days take the spa experience to a whole new level because now you’re on a retreat. At Homespunspa, we’ve just introduced a Stress Relief VIP Spa Day to our mobile spa menu and it’s so wonderful and awesome! Our Face-to-Face Stress Relief VIP Spa Day is a full day, intensive, one-to-one spa appointment. I’ll bring the spa experience to you in 5 different sessions over the course of one day. The Face-to-Face Stress Relief VIP Spa Day includes a guided meditation, a 30-minute energy healing massage, a 60-minute skin balancing facial with eye zone treatment, paraffin hand and foot treatments, a hike in a nearby park and a healthy lunch at an upscale restaurant. It’s perfect for a staycation! If you’re interested, please contact me by email or phone.
Staycations are a great idea and you can get really creative with your time off. Staycations do not have the stress associated with travelling, such as making your connecting flights or buying travellor’s cheques from the bank, and are a good way to save money.
If you’d like help planning your staycation this summer, please contact me, Maria. I have tons of ideas and I’d love to hear from you. Cheers to summer!