By Maria Koropecky, Homespunspa owner
We have a new member on our team at Homespunspa Mobile Spa! Let me introduce you to Anna Pretto, a professional Airbrush Spray Tan Artist who is certified in Spray Tanning, Lash Extensions, and Hair Threading.
Anna will be offering spray tanning as part of our new Saturna Island Spa Party Package. Because you may have some questions about spray tanning, I thought it would be a nice idea to interview Anna to find out more about this fun spa service.
Hi Anna, I’m so excited that you have joined the Homespunspa Mobile Spa team and you will be giving spray tans as part of our new Saturna Island spa party package. Welcome!
I’d like to ask you some questions on behalf of our customers to introduce you to everyone and to show how spray tanning works.
1. What’s your favourite part of being a airbrush spray tan artist?
Seeing the immediate, great results that clients receive from a spray tan.
2. What lead you to become a professional airbrush spray tan artist?
Because of my love of all things esthetics, I wanted to add another service to my menu. I chose spray tanning because it is a healthy and safe alternative to traditional tanning methods and I feel proud that I can offer that to my clients.
3. Do you have any memories of tanning when you were growing up?
Yes! Being of Greek descent, every year that summer would come around I remember from even when I was a child that my olive skin would radiate when I started to tan.
4. What is a spray tan?
Sunless spray tanning is the spray/mist application of sunless tanning solution to desired areas of your body. When applied, DHA (the active ingredient in sunless tanning solution) reacts with the proteins in the skin’s superficial layer to form a golden brown colour. Your skin begins to darken 2 to 3 hours after application and reaches its peak colour within 24 hours. The colour will gradually fade through natural exfoliation, just like a tan from the sun.
5. What are the benefits of getting a spray tan?
There are lots of benefits with getting a spray tan:
• An even, streak-free tan — the fine mist allows an even application all over, with no patchiness, and without going orange;
• Improved appearance — a spray tan helps you to look good year round, look thinner and healthier instantly, and it boosts self confidence;
• Even skin tone — A spray tan evens out skin tone and hides blemishes and imperfections, including stretch marks and varicose veins;
• Fast application — It’s fast: in just 15 minutes you can go from being pale and white to having a deep bronzed tan.
6. Is spray tanning safe?
Yes! DHA is non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. It’s made from sugar and is also used in the food industry. Spray tanning with DHA as the active tanning agent is approved and recommended by all the major medical associations and skin cancer associations around the world.
7. What spray tan product do you use and why did you choose this brand?
I use Aviva Natural Spray Tanning Solutions which is organic and is even used by celebrities. Here are the following reasons why we use only the safest of solutions:
1. Doctor formulated.
2. Natural-looking and long lasting.
8. Only made with FDA approved Ingredients.
9. All natural.
10. Composed of the highest quality, premium grade DHA.
14. Not tested on Animals.
15. Free of harsh dyes and chemicals.
16. Nut-free and allergen-free.
8. That’s quite a list! Does the spray tanning solution give off an odour?
Aviva spray tan solution doesn’t give off any odour at all.
9. Can you customize the tints? Can I (the guest) choose how tanned I want to be?
Yes, I’ll evaluate your skin type to help you achieve your best sunless colour possible and I’ll consult with you to find what kind of colour you are looking to achieve.
10. Do the spa party guests have to remove all of their clothes to get their spray tan and how do you maintain privacy?
You can wear a swimsuit, undergarments or no clothes at all, whatever you’re comfortable with!
11. Can the spray tan stain furniture and if so, is there anything you do to prevent that?
The spray tent keeps the spray inside the tent. For whatever reason, should there be any overspray on furniture, for example, it’s easily washed off with a wet cloth as it’s all organic. For the spa parties, we have some cloths on hand and would just clean things up right away.
12. How much space is required for you to set up your spray tanning tent?
Luckily, spray tanning doesn’t require much space at all! My mobile spray tanning tent can be set up virtually anywhere while protecting anything outside of it from spray.
13. What’s the difference between Air Brush Tanning and Spray Booths?
Booth – whatever your body size or height, a spray booth will spray you with the exact same motion and amount of spray.
Airbrush – The amount of spray can be adjusted and tailored to your body type and for your needs.
• Airbrush tanning is much more accurate than booth sprays;
• Airbrushing can be done in the comfort of your home;
• What a booth does in 30-60 seconds, airbrushing takes between 10-15 minutes;
• Airbrush tanning allows for a precise application of the solution evenly across your body, ensuring the best results;
• Airbrush tanning is also cleaner than booth sprays;
• Airbrushing tends to last longer;
• Barrier creams are not necessary;
• No head caps or booties are needed.
14. Is there anything the spa party guests have to do before getting their spray tan?
• Wax or shave 24 hours before your spray tan as this will allow the pores to close before your tan;
• Do not apply deodorants, moisturizers or perfumes the day of your appointment or spa party as these can prevent proper absorption of the tanning solution.
• Exfoliate 24 hours before to remove any dead skin cells.
15. What if the spa party guests don’t have a chance to exfoliate their skin before the spa party?
If by chance the skin hasn’t been exfoliated 24 hours prior to the tan, we have the option to exfoliate at the time of the tan at the spa party; however, I cannot guarantee that the results would be as good, as the skin hasn’t had a chance to recover.
Yes, we have an exfoliation treatment option and make-up removal option built into the spa party theme (instead of getting the chair massage) in case someone needs to take those steps before getting their spray tan at the spa party.
16. Are there any contraindications (like eczema or some sort of skin rash, burn, scar or health condition) that will prevent you from applying the spray tan to someone?
No. In an organic spray tan such as this one, wrinkles, dry skin, irritation, rashes and other skin problems are diminished. The spray binds the moisture in the skin and repairs skin cells that have been damaged by harsh sun rays. It eliminates the formation of dried-out skin which normally occurs after traditional spray tanning.
17. How long will the spray tan last?
Your body is always shedding dead skin cells. This is why even a natural sun tans fade over a few days. Spray tanning affects only the outer skin layer, so just like a natural sun tan the spray tan fades as your skin cells are shed. Your spray tan will usually last between 5 to 10 days.
18. Do you have any tips on making the spray tan last longer?
1. Bring loose, baggy clothing to wear after your appointment. Tight clothing will rub against your skin and may cause patches.
2. To avoid strap marks, I recommend you do not wear your bra after you appointment, until your tan has fully developed and you have washed it off.
3. Bring flip-flops to wear after your appointment, as shoes/socks will cause the tan to rub off/leave patches.
4. Wait at least 8 hours before showering after your spray tan.
5. Moisturize with an oil free moisturizer.
19. Wow! We’ve covered a lot of territory in this interview, Anna. Of course, people may still have more questions and if so, how can they reach you?
For more information about Anna and spray tans, please visit Lash and Glow or call 250-857-7837 and be sure to say, “I’m looking forward to hosting a Saturna Island spa party!”
Thank you, Anna, I’m sure spa lovers from Sooke to Sidney will enjoy our Saturna Island Spa Party Theme Package. I think adding spray tanning to the Homespunspa mobile spa menu is a great idea and the spa parties are going to be a blast!