by Maria Koropecky, Homespunspa Owner.
Spas have a certain aesthetic. Whenever you walk into a spa, you probably exhale and say to yourself something like, “I feel more relaxed already.” What is it about the design of a spa that helps us feel better upon entering and can we re-create those spa touches in our own home bathrooms?
Since September is Self-Care Awareness Month and since we’re heading into the cooler months of autumn, I thought it would be a nice idea to show how to add spa elements to a bathroom and turn any space into more of a home spa retreat.
I’m taking my inspiration from the Shaw room bathroom at the Beacon Inn, a Bed & Breakfast property, in Sidney by the Sea, BC, a place I’m very familiar with.
Spa Features of this Bathroom
- Calming Lavender paint colour
- Lights on a dimmer switch
- Separate shower and tub
- Fancy mirror
- Plush towels
- Spa robes and a place to hang them
- Live plants
- Hardwood floor
- Selection of body care products (not shown) like soaps, spa salts, moisturizers, shampoos, mouthwash etc.
- A window with a third story view of the street below and optional blinds
- Clean and clear of clutter
- Housekeeper to clean up afterwards 🙂
Spa Features I’d Add if I Could
- Heated floors
- Massaging shower head
- Jetted whirlpool tub
- Towel warmer
- More counter space around the sink
- Essential oil diffuser with a selection of synergistic blends
- Portable waterproof music speaker that plays an assortment of spa music, waves on the beach, rain, and white noise
- A folding table next to the tub to hold things like candles, drinking glasses, spa salts, clay masques, sugar scrubs, books, etc.
- A place to drape your clothes
- Rocks, crystals, and sea shells
I hope this list inspires you to add some spa touches to your own bathroom, whether you live in a big house or a tiny apartment or even an RV. I also hope that you take some time out for yourself, at least an hour every week, to relax and practice self-care, in your newish, lovely, spa bathroom.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Are there any ideas that you like? Please leave a comment below. Thanks!