by Maria Koropecky, Homespunspa owner
Did you know that January 19th is National Popcorn Day?
Here’s a recipe for popcorn that I’ve been making for years and it’s a real crowd pleaser. Hint, hint — it’s a great item to bring to a potluck!
Homemade Popcorn with Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
- 1/3 cup popcorn, unpopped
- sea salt to taste
You will also need:
- a Microwave oven
- a paper bag (the size you’d use to carry your lunch in)
- Scotch tape
1. If your coconut oil is solid, melt it in the Microwave oven for 30 seconds. You need to do this step first and have your coconut oil ready to go to pour over your popcorn while it’s hot.
2. Make sure your paper bag doesn’t have any holes or staples in it. Measure your popcorn and pour it into your paper bag. Fold the edge over twice and tape it down with Scotch tape, making sure the bag is well-sealed.
3. Put the bag of popcorn into the Microwave. Use the popcorn setting if you want — just make sure you leave the popcorn in for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. You may have to start the clock twice to add time. You might have to experiment with times that work with your microwave. The popcorn will start to pop vigourously. Poppity-pop-pop-pop. Just wait for things to slow down again, perhaps to a rate of a second or two between pops. Don’t leave the popcorn in too long because it will burn easily.
4. Remove the popcorn from the microwave and open the hot bag with caution. The steam will be hot. Pour the popcorn into a bowl.
5. Pour 2 spoonfuls of the coconut oil onto the popcorn and then add salt. Toss lightly. Repeat with the remaining coconut oil and salt until you like the taste.
Voila! Here’s a bowl of popcorn that tastes very popcorny and is way healthier than the kind you can find pre-made at the grocery store or at the movies or that you’ve covered with hot butter. Enjoy and happy Popcorn Day!