by Maria Koropecky, Homespunspa owner
It’s Earth Hour tonight, on Saturday March 27th, 2010 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is asking everyone on the planet to turn their lights off for one whole hour to take a stand against climate change.
Are you looking for a green activity to do by candle light? How about having a home spa pajama party and giving yourself a clay and cocoa facial? I think this Homespunspa idea is the perfect way to mark Earth Hour because it’s green and relaxing all at the same time. And it’s no accident that I’m highlighting clay and cocoa in this recipe. To me, these ingredients are the home spa epitome of “earthiness” because clay is loaded with treasures like magnesium, calcium, iron, aluminum, sodium, potassium and silica and cocoa is the colour of dirt.
So invite some friends over for an Earth Hour home spa get together. Have them bring their favourite pajamas and sleeping bags. Get the candles and flashlights ready and mix the dry ingredients of this recipe together ahead of time. Goopy green faces are always good for a laugh or two and this might be the beginning of a great annual event for you and your sistas.
Cocoa & Clay Earth Hour Facial
- 1/4 cup green French Clay — is a key spa ingredient because it helps remove surface dirt and dead cells from skin and the experience of resting while topped in mud diffuses tension in a most pleasant way.
- 2 TB cocoa powder — chocolate lovers will be pleased to learn that a facial made with cocoa will not only reduce tension, it will also soften dry skin.
- 1 TB orrisroot powder — used to fix scents in herbal preparations and for mild fragrance.
- 1 TB dried calendula flower petals, powdered or chopped fine — use in facials for all skin types to clean pores, balance pH, heal capillaries, relax facial expression and destress.
- 12 drops carrot seed essential oil — is valued for its relaxing, restoring and nourishing properties. It refreshes and firms mature skin by detoxifying pores as well as by stimulating cell renewal and skin elasticity.
- 1 TB sweet almond oil — is a very popular ingredient in natural skincare because it has moisturizing, softening, soothing and skin conditioning properties.
- 1/4 cup water — extends recipe volume and provides a base to blend ingredients.
- 1 cucumber, cut into 2 round slices per person — known as a remedy for puffy eyes, but also has cleansing, moisturizing, softening, toning and pH-balancing properties.
- Combine green French clay, cocoa, orrisroot and calendula in a bowl and set aside until you’re ready to start your facial.
- A few minutes before Earth Hour starts (around 8:20 pm), dilute 12 drops of carrot seed essential oil in 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil in a small glass jar with a secure lid. (You can substitute ingredients and use your choice of essential oils and carrier oil). Shake to blend. Pour over clay and mix in.
- Start with a 1/4 cup of water and slowly add enough liquid to make a spreadable paste.
- Lay a towel over a pillow where you plan to lie down. Light the candles.
- Remove make-up and rinse your face with water.
- Turn the lights off.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the wet paste onto your face and neck, avoiding the area around the eyes. Smooth with your fingers.
- Lie back and place the cucumber on your eyes. Leave the clay on for 10 to 20 minutes. It will start to dry and harden but it doesn’t need to harden completely to be effective. Enjoy the nocturnal silence.
- Rinse off the crusty mask with plenty of cool-warm water and pat dry.
Storage: Store any leftover dry ingredients in a jar or bag. Will last indefinitely.
Enjoy your Earth Hour!